The new PK assessment is the CIRCLE assessment (previously known as C-PALLS+) developed by researchers at the Children’s Learning Institute (CLI). This Pre-K assessment tool is designed to measure young children’s literacy and language skills (vocabulary, letter identification, and phonological awareness). It also includes scales for mathematical skills (numbers, counting shapes, and operations) and social-emotional skills.
Teachers and administrators will benefit from the technology-based administration and scoring feature that make data interpretation and usage efficient and effective. The entire system includes eight subtests in the following domains:
- Literacy *district required – one minute letter naming subtest and a phonological awareness subtest that takes approximately 7 minutes to complete, and two observational checklists of early writing and book/print knowledge
- Language *district required – one minute vocabulary subtest (images that children are asked to name were derived from multiple Prekindergarten curricula)
- Mathematics *district required – skills are measured with 27 items that requires approximately 5 minutes
- Science and Engineering *optional – knowledge is measured with 21 items, requiring approximately 5 minutes
- Social and Emotional *optional – skills as well as approaches to learning, is measured with an observational checklist